When will I receive my voucher?
You will be issued a voucher when funding levels are restored to support assistance to additional families.  We expect to have a better idea of when we can assist additional families upon receipt of our 2017 funding notice from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).  We expect to receive this notification by June 28, 2017.

Will I have to re-apply for the voucher again?
You will not have to re-apply for another voucher.  You will receive assistance prior to all other voucher applicants (in the same order in which you were called up). HOC will contact you to receive the voucher when funding is available. 

Do I need to update any information in Housing Path?
You will not to need to update any information in Housing Path unless pertinent household information has changed or when you are prompted to update the information by the system. To report a change please contact HOC’s Customer Service Call Center at (240)627-9400.

Will I need to re-submit my certification paperwork?
You may have to update the paperwork previously submitted.  All forms must be signed and dated within 120 days of the issued voucher. 

May I add additional members to the household who were not included in the initial paperwork?
Only the original members included on the initial application and certification paperwork may be included in the household.

What if my income changes from the amount reported on the initial paperwork?
HOC will verify all reported income to confirm that you do not exceed the program income limits and remain qualified to receive a voucher.  The income limits vary according to your household size.  The maximum income per household is listed in the below chart.

Family Size

Maximum Household Income

1 person


2 persons


3 persons


4 persons


5 persons


6 persons


7 persons


8+ persons


I was expecting to receive the voucher and don’t have anywhere to go.  Who can I talk to?
HOC does not provide emergency housing.  You should not change your current living situation until a voucher has been fully issued.  If you need to speak to someone today you may call Susan Ward at (240) 627-9761.

Do I need to speak with anyone at HOC or elsewhere?
If you want to express how the federal budget cuts affect you and your family, you may call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to speak with a member of Montgomery County’s Federal Delegation, listed below.